"How can one avoid being depressed when he sees with his own eyes evidences of millions of people going to bed hungry at night? How can one avoid being depressed when he sees with his own eyes God’s children sleeping on the sidewalks at night?" - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
There are over 1,000 children in Skagit Valley who are, at this very moment, homeless. Our mission is to come together as a community to support homeless families as they work to provide their children with loving homes.
Family Promise seeks to accomplish this mission through five main components:
1. Host and Support Congregations: families spend their nights at the building of a local congregation, which include meals and a place to sleep for the night.
2. Day Center: families can take a shower, do laundry, and receive help from the Case Manager in attaining employment and housing.
3. Transportation: families are driven between the Day Center and Host Congregations every morning and evening.
4. Promise House: a group transitional house for up to four families who have successful met their employment goals, but need additional time and rental history in order to successfully find long term housing in Skagit County's tight affordable housing market.
5. HUMI (Help Us Move In): provides deposit assistance and eviction prevention funds to keep families from becoming homeless in the first place.
6. Social Service Agencies: Family Promise works in collaboration with other agencies in Skagit Valley to provide families with the best assistance possible to attain employment, housing, and other needed services.
7. Volunteers: without people who are committed to the mission of Family Promise, we would not succeed; their help makes our work possible.
8. Donors: over 800 donors and sustaining partners, local businesses, churches, fraternal organizations and foundations complete our network.
SUPPORT / SUSTAINING CONGREGATIONS and organizations
Our host congregations have each decided to shelter homeless families in the evenings for one week at a time. These gracious congregations are as follows:
Burlington Lutheran Church
Mount Vernon Presbyterian Church
Bethlehem Lutheran Church
Allen United Methodist Church
Trinity Lutheran Church
North Cascade Seventh Day Adventist Church
Fir-Conway Lutheran Church
First United Methodist Church
Salem Lutheran Church
Calvary Baptist Church
Christ the King, Mount Vernon
City of Refuge Church, Burlington
Our support congregations and organizations have each decided to assist our host congregations in providing for homeless families. They assist with food / volunteers or sustain the network financially. These wonderful organizations are as follows:
Mount Vernon First Christian Church
Bayview United Methodist Church
St. Paul's Episcopal Church
Edison Lutheran Church
His Place Community Church
St. James Episcopal Church
Celebration Lutheran Church
St. Charles Catholic Church
Immaculate Heart of Mary Catholic Church
Burlington United Reform Church
First Christian Reformed Church
New Life at the Well
Mount Vernon City Hall employees
Faith Baptist Church
Christ the King Church, Burlington
Bethany Covenant Church